15 sexual assault cases investigated in Ceuta as migrant border crisis intensifies

340     0
15 sexual assault cases investigated in Ceuta as migrant border crisis intensifies
15 sexual assault cases investigated in Ceuta as migrant border crisis intensifies

Spanish cops are investigating 15 alleged sexual assaults in Ceuta, including one against a girl aged 10, as border tensions spiral out of control.

The probe comes after hundreds of migrants tried to rush into the Spanish enclave over the weekend – two weeks after 72,000 made the crossing.

Three soldiers in camouflage uniforms stand beside a military vehicle. qhxidiqxkiqrrinv

Two of the 15 suspects, who arrived as part of a initial surge on July 30, have been detained and at least one has been deported to Morocco.

Many of Ceuta’s 84,000-strong population have fled to mainland Spain since the crisis began, as fears over security deepen.

Around 9,000 migrants, including unaccompanied children, are still believed to be in Ceuta since the initial influx struck.

Hundreds staged a protest on the city’s popular El Trampolin beach on Sunday demanding asylum from Spanish authorities.

Fears Of Second Surge In Migrant Crossings Into Ceuta Driven By False Social Media Posts

Illustration of a map showing Spain and Morocco, with Spanish enclaves Ceuta and Melilla highlighted, and arrows indicating migrant routes and a small inset photo of people on a beach.

Waving banners and flags that read, “we don’t want to go back to Morocco”, protesters said they were “suffering” in the cold and had been blocked from the city centre by police.

Spanish security forces and Moroccan riot police were deployed to bolster security on both sides of the border as a second influx struck on Saturday.

Nearly 300 migrants were arrested as Morocco used dogs, tear gas and baton charges to break up crowds trying to reach Spain, The Times reports.

Ahead of the mass dash, messages reportedly circulated across social media calling for a new invasion of the Spanish enclave.

People fleeing across a desert landscape towards a green hill.

Moroccan authority stops the attempt by hundreds of sub-Saharan migrants to reach Ceuta

The attempt was much smaller than late last month when tens of thousands of migrants swam or climbed over the breakwater to reach Ceuta.

Over 100 people died in the rush, according to official tallies although human rights groups have reported higher figures.

Nearly all have since returned to Morocco, but thousands are believed to have stayed behind.

The 15 alleged assaults represent complaints or police investigations – not prosecutions.

Morocco detains 111 migrants after attempted mass crossing into Spain’s Ceuta

Military armored vehicle with soldiers on board entering a street with cars and buildings.

Three people – reportedly brothers – were allegedly caught trying to assault a ten-year-old girl on Friday night.

Ahmed Enfed-Dal, president of the neighbourhood association said: “These girls were wandering free in the city, which is very dangerous.

“The authorities need to find a solution fast because we are just volunteering and we cannot look after them indefinitely.“

Officers have not confirmed that the suspects were all migrants.

At least five alleged victims were treated in a specialist hospital unit, according to the authorities.

Last week, a 62-year-old woman in Ceuta awoke to find a migrant in bed with her.

The man, a Moroccan who had convictions for assaults committed in Valencia, had scaled a building and entered through a balcony.

He was arrested as he tried to flee across rooftops and a court subsequently handed him a two-year prison sentence.

Editorial Team

Emma Davis

Deputy Editor

Print page

Comments:

comments powered by Disqus