Travelodge boss Jo Boydell steps down after hotel sexual assault exposes safety failures
The chief executive of a budget hotel chain has stepped down as the firm continues to overhaul its safety laws following a sexual assault at one of its branches.
A woman was attacked at a London Travelodge hotel back in December 2022 after staff handed a man she did not know a key card to her room.


The perpetrator had claimed to be the victim’s boyfriend before gaining access to her room and assaulting her while she slept.
Now, CEO Jo Boydell has stepped down from the role, following claims that amendments to safety procedures have not gone far enough.
Boydell leaves after 13 years at the firm and is due to be replaced by chief financial officer Ray Reidy on an interim basis.
The ex-CEO was heavily criticised about her dealings with the case and overall safety measures at the chain.


Complaints about her management prompted former Prime Minister Keir Starmer to urge her to “seriously engage” with the issue back in March.
The victim, who is now in her 30s, was shocked to learn the hotel chain’s boss had later cancelled a meeting with MPs seeking to discuss concerns about the case.
Boydell had previously apologised to the victim and said the company made “immediate” changes to its door key policy.
New boss Ray said: “We remain focused on the safety and wellbeing of our guests and will continue taking the actions necessary to strengthen the business.
“We will also continue to engage proactively and constructively with Government and the wider hospitality industry on the issue of safety and security.”
The group said an independent review was being carried out, including new room access security.
It said guests must now give explicit permission for an extra or replacement room key to be handed out.
Attacker Kyran Smith, 29, was jailed for seven years and six months for trespassing with intent to commit a sexual offence and sexual assault on January 23 this year.
The two had attended the same party earlier that night and had been staying at individual rooms at the hotel.
At 2am, Smith approached reception and, despite only knowing the victim’s name, passed the hotel chain’s security measures.
The woman awoke to find Smith carrying out the sexual assault as she shouted at him to leave the room.
He then put his clothes back on, handing the key back to reception and went back to his own room.
The victim claimed that she was offered a £30 refund by staff following the horrific assault at the Maidenhead branch.
It followed a similar incident in October 2022, whereby a receptionist gave a woman’s violent ex a key to her room at another London Travelodge.
The domestic abuse victim described it as one of the “most traumatic nights of her life”.
She contacted BBC after hearing about the Maidenhead incident later in December.
Boydell’s departure comes as the chain reported earnings approaching £47.9million this year, compared to £47.3million the previous year.
But it claimed profit growth had been held back by “significant cost pressures”, including a rising staff wage bill.

Deputy Editor
Read more similar news:
Comments:
comments powered by Disqus