Husband's desperate attempts to save mum who died after drinking too much water

442     0
Ashley Summers pictured with her husband Cody who attempted to give her CPR when she passed out (Image: FACEBOOK)
Ashley Summers pictured with her husband Cody who attempted to give her CPR when she passed out (Image: FACEBOOK)

A husband desperately attempted to save a mum's life after she passed out and died from drinking too much water.

Ashley Summers, 35, was on a getaway last month with her husband and two daughters to Lake Freeman near Monticello, Indiana, to celebrate the Fourth of July weekend. Family members told how Ashley had felt unwell with a headache before drinking almost two litres of water in twenty minutes.

Temperatures had also reached up to 90 degrees during their outing before Ashely fell backwards passing out. Her husband Cody rushed to her side as he desperately tried to give her CPR.

Ashley's uncle Deon Miller said: "It was really hot, and they were out on the water. She had a headache and felt really thirsty. She thought she must have been dehydrated, so she drank like four bottled waters in half an hour. Cody gave her CPR and got her going a little bit, but by the time they got to the hospital and ran tests and everything, they had to put her on the ventilator.

Husband's desperate attempts to save mum who died after drinking too much water rriddqixxiqezinvAshley pictured with her husband Cody and their two daughters (FACEBOOK)
Husband's desperate attempts to save mum who died after drinking too much waterAshley Summers assumed she was dehydrated whens he started feeling unwell (FACEBOOK)

"By that time, her brain had swelled enough that it shut all circulation off to her brain, and she was brain dead -then, that night, she was gone. It’s been a real shock for the kids and everyone.", writes The Messenger.

Baby boy has spent his life in hospital as doctors are 'scared' to discharge himBaby boy has spent his life in hospital as doctors are 'scared' to discharge him

Devon Miller, Ashley's brother told WRTV : "She loved being on the water. She loved being on the lake. [Then] my sister, Holly, called me, and she was just an absolute wreck. She was like 'Ashley is in the hospital. She has brain swelling, they don’t know what’s causing it, they don’t know what they can do to get it to go down, and it’s not looking good.

"Someone said she drank four bottles of water in 20 minutes. I mean, an average water bottle is like 16 ounces, so that was 64 ounces that she drank in a span of 20 minutes. That’s half a gallon. That’s what you’re supposed to drink in a whole day." Devastated, the grieving brother continued: "It was a shock to all of us. When they first started talking about water toxicity. It was like this is a thing?"

Husband's desperate attempts to save mum who died after drinking too much waterAshley passed out and suffered brain swelling after drinking too much water (Ashley Summers / Facebook)

Water intoxication, also called water poisoning can occur if someone drinks too much water. In rare cases, it can be fatal as it interferes with the balance of electrolytes in the body, especially if someone drinks lots of water without getting enough electrolytes from food.

Although the occurrence is rare, it can be fatal in case a person drinks extreme amounts of water, such as during water-drinking contests or during long periods of intense exercise. Sometimes, it can also happen as a form of torture.

Water is generally safe, but too much of it in a short time can be harmful. Excessive body water can also be caused by certain medical conditions. Drinking a very large amount of water quickly has even cause deaths in humans.

Abigail O'Leary

Print page

Comments:

comments powered by Disqus