Scots College rape case: strict bail conditions imposed on three teenage accused

605     0
Scots College rape case: strict bail conditions imposed on three teenage accused
Scots College rape case: strict bail conditions imposed on three teenage accused

Media can reveal the strict bail conditions imposed on the so-called Scots College Three after two families retained globally recognised defamation lawyers.

The teenage trio stand accused of gang raping a 14-year-old girl in an eastern suburbs alley on a school night last month.

NSW Police previously confirmed that two replica firearms and a Glock-style BB gun were also seized from one of the accused boys’ homes during their arrests.

As whispers continue to spread about the alleged offending, the Mail also learned on Wednesday that the youngest accused, aged 13, has an additional bail condition imposed specifically on him.

The case, which has plunged the Sydney private school into the gravest scandal of its 133-year history, remains tightly controlled - and not simply by police.

As first reported by Inside Mail, Scots College this week engaged the services of a public relations firm that specialises in maintaining the reputations of independent schools to help manage the fallout.

Meanwhile, the families of two of the boys, but not the third, have engaged a prestigious law firm specialising in high-stakes defamation matters to protect the identities of the accused, who police say are one 13-year-old and two aged 14.

Bail conditions for the boys obtained by the Mail show that all three are banned from entering the suburb of Bondi Junction, and cannot associate with each other outside of school hours at Scots, which has fees of up to $54,000 a year.

The strict bail conditions for the so-called Scots College Three can be revealed as families of two of boys hire globally recognised lawyers to help keep their identities secret qhxidiqxkiqrhinv

Scots Old Boy and billionaire logistics CEO Arthur Tzaneros was forced to apologise after a WhatsApp conversation in which he described the alleged rape victim as a ’willing participant’

They have to remain inside their homes between 6pm and 6am and not leave unless in the company of their parents.

They must also ’not use any social media platform’.

While all three boys are forbidden from contacting the alleged victim, in addition the 13-year-old must not assault or threaten her, stalk, harass or intimidate her, or recklessly destroy or damage any property or harm any animal that belongs to her.

The Mail understands that one purpose of the defamation lawyers’ engagement is to ensure that the statutory restrictions keeping the boys’ identities secret are enforced.

This includes keeping their names out of comments sections on media outlets’ websites and social media pages.

It comes after five teenage boys, who are not Scots students, went to the home of one of the accused last Saturday afternoon and pelted it with eggs.

One of the egg throwers, aged 17, was arrested and refused bail after being charged with carrying a knife and breaching existing bail conditions on an unrelated charge.

Scots College headmaster Dr Ian Lambert emailed parents on Sunday afternoon, informing them of the arrests and warning students against vigilantism.

Scots College headmaster Dr Ian Lambert said in a letter to parents that ’sexual violence is never acceptable’ and ’is entirely inconsistent with the standards and values of the College’

Since the alleged rape of the teenage girl, questions are being raised privately about the strength of consent education at Scots College.

The charges faced by the 13-year-old and one of the 14-year-olds include one count of aggravated sexual assault in company and two counts of aggravated sexual touching.

The other 14-year-old faces one charge each of aggravated sexual assault in company and aggravated sexual touching.

A former Scots College student who remains connected to Sydney’s private school circles told the Mail that the prevailing attitude at Scots was that educating boys about consent fell chiefly to parents rather than the institution.

A joint statement released by Dr Lambert and Scots chairman Glen Pather on Tuesday evening said that ’sexual violence is never acceptable’ and ’is entirely inconsistent with the standards and values of the College’.

Their letter continued: ’The alleged incident occurred away from the College and outside school hours. The College did not witness it and does not have first-hand knowledge of what occurred.’

The statement also noted: ’Commentary that minimises sexual violence, blames or targets another person or speculates about the young people involved is also unacceptable.’

This appears to be partly in response to media reports that Scots Old Boy and billionaire Arthur Tzaneros had described the alleged rape victim as a ’willing participant’ and the assaults as ’fake news’. 

Bail conditions for the three accused boys include that they must not be in one another’s company outside of school hours at the prestigious $54,000-a-year Scots College

Tzaneros made the since-deleted comments in a Class of 1995 WhatsApp group, while also declaring that the incident ’was no Skaf case’, a reference to the 2000 Sydney gang rapes.

The college’s statement this week addressed concerns circulating among staff and parents who ’want to know what has been said to students’ since the arrests.

Dr Lambert and Mr Pather said all Year 5 and above students had now been spoken to about the matter ’in age-appropriate ways and settings suited to their stage of development.’

’Consent and respectful relationships are not addressed through a single lesson, program or visiting speaker,’ they added.

’The Christian foundation of the college... calls each student to treat all people, including women and girls, with respect, to exercise self-control, to accept responsibility for their choices and to care for others.’ 

Editorial Team

Elizabeth Baker

Technology & Business Editor

Print page

Comments:

comments powered by Disqus