TUI 'holiday from hell' as boy, 10, is 'almost impaled' by glass door

536     0
Olly, ten, was seriously injured during the family break (Image: Teresa Johnson)
Olly, ten, was seriously injured during the family break (Image: Teresa Johnson)

A family claim they endured the “hotel from hell” on what was supposed to be a dream holiday, after they were plagued by an eggy stench and a child was “almost impaled”.

The Johnsons spent £18,108 on the TUI trip for seven guests, which included grandparents Robert and Teresa, their son Gavin and his wife Emma, as well as their children Ollie, 10, Luke, eight, and cousin Ashton, five. When they arrived at Azul Beach Resort Riviera Cancún, Mexico, they claimed their rooms were plagued by the stench of decaying seaweed

However, worse was to come when they heard Ollie screaming and found he had smashed his head through the balcony’s sliding glass door.

TUI 'holiday from hell' as boy, 10, is 'almost impaled' by glass door rriddqikeiqtkinvOlly was covered in blood in the incident in Mexico (Teresa Johnson)
TUI 'holiday from hell' as boy, 10, is 'almost impaled' by glass doorThe youngster had not realised the door was closed when he walked into the door (Teresa Johnson)

Grandmother Tessa Johnson told LeedsLive: “It was the hotel from hell, it was dreadful from Day One.

“We were down near the pool and we could hear Ollie’s mum screaming from a distance. They were screaming for me to come as Ollie had gone through the window. It was just mortifying.

Molly-Mae Hague and Tommy Fury to star in new Netflix doc as first-time parentsMolly-Mae Hague and Tommy Fury to star in new Netflix doc as first-time parents

“It was horrific, I’ve seen nothing like it in my life. I was expecting little shards of glass like off a car windscreen – but it wasn’t. It was massive big three-foot shards of glass. Luckily, he bounced off the door and fell backwards. If he’d have slipped or fallen forward, I’m kidding you not, he would have been dead. I just can’t help thinking ‘what if?’.

“Ollie was walking over to get his shoes from the balcony and didn’t know the door was shut. We had no stickers on our doors either to show the door was shut.

“He walked into it headfirst. The head injuries took the brunt of the glass and shattered it. He was covered in blood, all over his head, feet, stomach, and hands.

TUI 'holiday from hell' as boy, 10, is 'almost impaled' by glass doorPiles of rotting seaweed was on the nearby beach (Teresa Johnson)
TUI 'holiday from hell' as boy, 10, is 'almost impaled' by glass doorThe seaweed smelled of eggs, according to the family (Teresa Johnson)

“His mum couldn’t bear to look at him, she was just crying.”

The family also claimed there was a pungent 'eggy' stench wafting across the resort in Cancún, Mexico, due to a beach covered and stockpiled with decaying seaweed and 'muddy' water. They said the image was quite different to the pictures of white sandy beaches depicted on TUI's website.

Teresa added: “The eggy smell was vile, absolutely disgusting.

“We enjoy a beach holiday and we’ve never had this in Mexico before, you couldn’t even get down on the beach. It was our five-year-old’s very first beach holiday, he’d never been on the sand before and still hasn’t now. We even brought his own bucket and spades from England.

“It looked totally different from the pictures online. We got shown a beach with a bar, swings and a blue sea. It was just churning mud over and over.”

A spokesperson for TUI said: “We are very sorry to hear about Ms Johnson’s family holiday experience in Mexico.

“We are working with our hotel partner to investigate some of the claims and we will be following up with the customer directly to update on the circumstances.

8 places to enjoy a UK Staycation in 20238 places to enjoy a UK Staycation in 2023

“At TUI we aim to give our customers an exceptional experience and we’d like to reassure customers that health and safety is our highest priority.”

Antony Thrower

Print page

Comments:

comments powered by Disqus