Brits' worst holidays from hell – dead bodies, sewage floods and mould explosion

695     0
Lauren Jones and Adam, from Chester, said their luxury holiday in Bali was a
Lauren Jones and Adam, from Chester, said their luxury holiday in Bali was a 'holiday from hell' (Image: Lauren Jones)

The summer holidays are well and truly underway, with Brits desperate to flee the country due to weeks of miserable weather. But holidaymakers have been left begging to return to the UK after enduring holidays from hell with rats, dead bodies and dirty rooms.

Brits have been documenting their vacations across the globe, with reports of nightmare stays in popular hot spots including Mexico, Egypt, the Caribbean, Spain and elsewhere.

In the most recent case, a five-star hotel in the Dominican Republic came under fire after families shared their horrific stays in Punta Cana. Guests at the Riu Republica Hotel claimed to have seen a lifeless corpse under a sheet.

Alan Stevens said: "A woman fell from a balcony while we were there and we walked past and saw her body hidden under a sheet. It was really eerie as we had no idea what was going on."

Brits' worst holidays from hell – dead bodies, sewage floods and mould explosion eidexiqreiqtrinvThe families slammed the Riu Republica Hotel for the filthy conditions (Hull Live / MEN Media)
Brits' worst holidays from hell – dead bodies, sewage floods and mould explosionLauren Jones and Adam, from Chester, said their luxury holiday in Bali was a 'holiday from hell' (Triangle News)

While guests Kerry and Alan Fowler forked out £4000 for their two-week holiday and described it as a "hell hole" before comparing it to "The Purge horror movie." The Holidaymakers also alleged that they were approached by dodgy drug dealers, and witnessed guests romping and vomiting in the "first class" pool, where they reportedly spotted "bodily fluid including semen." Unfortunately, this holiday from hell was one of many. Below we've explored some of the worst trips Brits have taken in the past year.

Plane passengers stuck on flight for 13 hours - only to end up where they beganPlane passengers stuck on flight for 13 hours - only to end up where they began

Stranded without accommodation in Egypt

Brits' worst holidays from hell – dead bodies, sewage floods and mould explosionThe couple were hit with a double blow of no bookings (Deadline news)

A couple from Milton Keynes said they went through "hell" after they turned up to the £1,800 King Tut Aqua Park Resort, only to find out their booking didn't exist. Gareth Tysoe, 40, and Treacy Senco, 46, were then left even more shocked after they arrived to the alternative accommodation set up by the hotel provider, to discover the second booking also didn't exist.

Due to the problem being caused by the hotel provider, Love Holidays, who the couple had booked with, had no control over the issue. The pair were eventually offered alternative accommodation. Gareth said he was further left out of pocket after his phone bill reached £350 whilst trying to call the holiday reps for help.

"We feel we have been left stranded in a foreign country by Love Holidays who did not help us at all," he said. "It totally ruined the start of our holiday and the fear we had at being stranded with no support was overwhelming."

Woman woken up by rat

Brits' worst holidays from hell – dead bodies, sewage floods and mould explosionDee said she was 'disgusted' by the state of the resort (Deadline News)
Brits' worst holidays from hell – dead bodies, sewage floods and mould explosionDee found droppings just inches from her pillow (Deadline News)

A woman was left feeling "sick" after she was woken up by a rat in her hotel accommodation booked through TUI. Dee Devine, 56, said she was horrified to find droppings on her pillow in Playa del Carmen, Mexico. The holidaymaker, from Derbyshire, managed to record the rodent staring directly into her eyes.

Dee claimed her sister felt something crawl on her just two days into the £2,700 holiday. She said they were "disgusted" after realising that the rat had been sneaking around in their room the whole time and filmed it fleeing into a "hole" next to the shower.

"My sister told me she felt something move on her during the second night but we didn't expect it to be a rat," she said in June. "The morning after we had removed the rat pee and poo my eyes began to puff up and I started to panic."

Mouldy rooms with 'fluid' stains

Brits' worst holidays from hell – dead bodies, sewage floods and mould explosionLauren said there was 'mould everywhere' (Lauren Jones)
Brits' worst holidays from hell – dead bodies, sewage floods and mould explosionThe couple were left unimpressed by the Bali resort (Lauren Jones)

A couple described how they became "unwell" after arriving to their mouldy hotel room which was in "disrepair." Lauren Jones and her partner Adam Donlevy said they spent £3000 on a two-week luxury holiday, split between two hotels in Ubad and Seminyak in Indonesia.

Lauren, who booked the holiday through Hays Travel, explained there was "mould everywhere" in the first accommodation. She further added that she didn't feel "safe" due to there being a lot of "crime" in the area last year.

The nurse said: "We did both become unwell in those conditions, with stomach problems. But it's also the fear you're going to contract something else." Describing the conditions in the second accommodation, she added: "We found the bodily fluids on the bedding and the towels. The pool was actually closed because the roof was falling down and held together with blue rope." Hays Travel confirmed Lauren was issued a refund on both hotels and given a goodwill gesture.

Hotel threatens to call police at all-inclusive with eggy flies

Brits' worst holidays from hell – dead bodies, sewage floods and mould explosionShauni claims staff weren't happy with her cover-up top (mediadrumimages/Shauni Reed)
Brits' worst holidays from hell – dead bodies, sewage floods and mould explosionThe mum said she found flies on the food (mediadrumimages/Shauni Reed)

A mum said she was left gobsmacked after a gifted holiday from her loved ones resulted in the hotel threatening to call the police over a piece of clothing. Shauni Reed, from Kent, said that was just one of her worries, after she walked down to her all-inclusive buffet to discover the eggs covered in flies. She also claimed there were birds nests on the hotel walls and insects in her room in Spain.

Giant sinkhole swallows truck as drivers keep ignoring road closed warningsGiant sinkhole swallows truck as drivers keep ignoring road closed warnings

The family said they were forced to eat away from the venue and were trapped at the resort because nearby hotels were full. The conditions made Shauni not want to ever return to Tossa De Mer.

"The place was unclean and filthy. The staff were rude and threatened to call the police on us within the first hour of being there. My room smelled of sewage." She added: "The staff threatened to call the police for wearing a pool top on top of a swimsuit. The food was inedible, we ate in the town and never ate at the all inclusive."

Horror hotel with 'exposed wires and faeces on floor'

Brits' worst holidays from hell – dead bodies, sewage floods and mould explosionThe Gray's said the resort wasn't safe for them to stay
Brits' worst holidays from hell – dead bodies, sewage floods and mould explosionThe family captured the raw food

A family claimed their children were begging to come home from their £1,700 holiday after their hotel was switched last minute in Egypt. Gemma and Baz Gray, from Lincolnshire, originally expected to stay at the four-star hotel Parrotel Aqua Park Resort. But they were reportedly informed that the local authorities had downgraded the venue to a three-star and were told they would be moved to the five-star Parrotel Lagoon instead.

The family were given the news days before their holiday and said they were looking forward to the trip because of the stunning photos online. But they claimed that when they arrived there was faeces on the floor in the public bathroom. They further alleged that a pin was pierced through their daughter's foot while she was at the pool.

Gemma said last year: "The toilets by the pool were a health hazard, covered with faeces and urine all over the toilets and floor. The food for the adults was cold in the middle, uncooked and blood on the chicken, I ended up with severe stomach pains, sickness and diarrhoea for four days and my husband the same for three days, we were both in agony."

Honeymoon hell

Brits' worst holidays from hell – dead bodies, sewage floods and mould explosionErika and James said the conditions were appalling (Chloe Penny Photography/Triangle News)
Brits' worst holidays from hell – dead bodies, sewage floods and mould explosionThe couple said the hotel wasn't looked after (Triangle News)

A newlywed couple claimed their honeymoon turned into a disaster after they found vomit up the wall and chewed up carpets. Erika and James Mitchell opted to stay in the UK and checked into the Riviera Hotel, in Weymouth, Dorset, just two days after their wedding day.

But the couple from Bromley, Kent, said the conditions were filthy and claimed they couldn't even take a dip in the pool because it was drained. They further claimed that they couldn't eat at the venue because the cups and cutlery were mouldy and dusty and it put them off.

Nursery teacher Erika said: “It ruined the honeymoon. From what it said on their website I thought I was going to this big spa hotel. It ended up being the hotel from hell. It was disgusting. Outside the room on the balcony, there were cans on the side and sick up the wall. It was disgusting. I even thought about sleeping in the car. That is how bad it was."

Monica Charsley

Print page

Comments:

comments powered by Disqus