Girl, 17, died at friend's sleepover after taking ecstasy pill for first time

1178     0
Lila-Grace Smith died aged just 17 (Image: Emma Hargreaves / SWNS)
Lila-Grace Smith died aged just 17 (Image: Emma Hargreaves / SWNS)

A teenage A-level student died after taking an ecstasy pill for the first time at a sleepover with friends, an inquest heard.

Lila-Grace Smith took the class A drug as she stayed at a friend's house last summer, and despite being rushed to hospital after her friends raised the alarm, she couldn't be saved.

Bradford Coroner's Court heard the amount of ecstasy in her system was 'well within' the range of levels that have been associated with deaths from taking the drug.

Her heartbroken mother, Emma Hargreaves, told the inquest that she'd warned her daughters about taking drugs because she knew someone who overdosed from ecstasy.

In a statement read to the court, Emma said Lila had spoken to her about her friends taking drugs, but she herself had never taken any.

Baby boy has spent his life in hospital as doctors are 'scared' to discharge him rriqudirriezinvBaby boy has spent his life in hospital as doctors are 'scared' to discharge him

She told the court Lila was in sixth form studying Psychology, Biology, and French at North Halifax Grammar School.

She said she had a part-time job as a waitress and had previously taken piano lessons.

She added: "Lila had met her boyfriend at primary school and they had been boyfriend and girlfriend for some time.

Girl, 17, died at friend's sleepover after taking ecstasy pill for first timeThe inquest was held in Bradford

"Lila would stay over at her friend's houses from time to time. We knew she would have a drink when she went to parties, but we weren't worried about her consuming alcohol.

"We'd just started having conversations about drugs. When I was younger, I knew someone who overdosed on ecstasy."

The inquest heard that on June 3, 2021, Lila was sleeping over at a friend's house in Keighley, West Yorkshire, Hull Live reports.

They had discussed going out to bars, but chose to stay in.

The court heard the friends had consumed alcohol, nitrous oxide - a legal high known as 'hippy crack' - and later ecstasy.

Detective Sergeant Collum Hanogue said the pals had researched the effects of ecstasy earlier in the evening.

But he said police were unable to identify who had supplied and acquired the drug and no criminal proceedings were ongoing.

Disabled woman paralysed after falling from wheelchair on plane walkway diesDisabled woman paralysed after falling from wheelchair on plane walkway dies

He told the inquest the two girls Lila was with rang one of their boyfriends just after 11pm after she'd taken ill.

The unnamed lad and three pals got in a taxi and arrived at the house at 11.20pm.

Two of them put Lila in the recovery position and two took the girls to another room to save her embarrassment when she came round.

But when her condition worsened at 11.42pm, they rang 999 and administered CPR until the ambulance arrived.

Paramedics rushed Lila to hospital, where she was pronounced dead at 12.45am on Saturday, June 4, the inquest heard.

DS Hanogue said: "It would very much appear that all parties were aware and were willing participants."

Recording a narrative conclusion, Assistant Coroner for West Yorkshire Mary Burke said: "This is a tragic case of the death of a young girl who had her whole life ahead of her.

"Hopefully young people out there who might hear of this report may pause and think for a minute before they take such risks.

"We have a family here who will grieve forever and a day for the loss of their loved one. Let this be a lesson, please."

Kelly-Ann Mills

Print page

Comments:

comments powered by Disqus
15.07.2024, 17:44 • Investigation